.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Blackhawk down safely

    An accident involving a U.S. military helicopter briefly knocked out electricity in some parts of Owenton and other communities in the region.

    According to Lt. Col. Mike Ferguson, U.S. Army aviation facility commander of Frankfort, a Blackhawk UH 60 helicopter was on a training mission focusing on the use of night-vision goggles.

  • Library settles on site

    A site on Hwy. 22 East, near the Hi-Y-Inn is expected to be the location of the new Owen County Public Library.

    Owen County Public Library Director Jennifer Nippert said the library board made a final decision on the site last Friday and plans to purchase it for $175,000 within the next few weeks.

    The 4.3 acres of land is currently owned by Blue Moon Investors.

    During its August meeting, the board voted unanimously to take the compensating tax rate.

  • Owen judicial center begins to take shape

    When Owen County debuts its new $10 million judicial center in the fall of 2011, officials say it will feature state-of-the-art safety devices and exceed the most sensitive environmental standards.

    Nearly four years after initial groundwork was laid, the 33,000-square feet building is taking shape on Ky. 22, less than a mile east of downtown.

  • BYE BYE BURLEY

     In the not so distant past, anyone traveling through Owen County could look out their window and see field after field of tobacco – the plant that for so many years provided local farmers with the luxuries of life.

  • WOMAN'S MISSING KANGAROO SPOTTED IN HENRY COUNTY

    Nearly two years after its escape, an Owenton woman's missing kangaroo was believed to be spotted Thursday morning in the rural Henry County community of Bethlehem.

    Jeannie Stivers was driving through the small community when something caught her eye.

  • Landmark Lost: Baptists raze 116-year-old home

    Preservationists say not enough was done to thwart demolition of a 116-year-old historic home on Main Street. The two-story brick house at 205 N. Main St. was razed Aug. 26. The site will indefinitely serve as a grassy lot for neighboring Owenton First Baptist Church, which acquired the house and a quarter-acre lot in a $220,000, tax-free deal reached four years ago with former owner A.T. Morgan, according to county property records.

  • Festival 'sweet' for revenue

    Downtown needs more than one-time festivals, parades and special events to attract and retain viable businesses, according to merchants and public officials. Long-range planning and private capital investment is crucial to create a stronger business backbone, they agree.

  • Sparta skaters: Park needs upgrades

    Sparta residents Colton Matt and Logan Bailey have skateboarded together for five years. Now, the two are looking to share that passion.

    The Maurice Bowling Middle School students, both 12, are fund raising for concrete and equipment to improve the skate park in Sparta.

    The Sparta city park has one piece of equipment, but Matt said he and Bailey both would like to see the site expanded.

  • Meet the school district's new $95,000 man

    A 3-2 vote on a new Owen County superintendent contract has brought the district’s search process to an end.

    The board approved a $95,000 superintendent contract for David Raleigh during a special called meeting Thursday.

    Raleigh, who currently serves as principal at Boundrant Middle School in Frankfort, was selected from 13 applicants for the superintendent position.

  • Fire guts Monterey house

    A Monterey woman who was in the process of moving lost her home when a fire struck early Thursday morning. According to Monterey Volunteer Fire Department Chief Larry House, the fire that began around 12:15 a.m. at 245 Taylor St. started in the back part of Phyllis Massey’s home. House said Massey had bought another home near Gratz and was planning to put her house on Taylor Street up for sale. She had already moved most of her belongings.

    House said an arson investigator was called in and ruled the fire as electrical.