.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Avoid problems by winterizing your home, Owen official says

    Rick Morgan, Owen County emergency management director, would like to remind residents to take the time now to get your home ready for the winter season by following these tips:
    • Have your heating system checked by a professional annually.  This will ensure that your system is working safely and efficiently which, in turn, will save you money.  If you heat by wood, clean your fireplace or stove.
    • Have your chimney flue checked for any buildup of creosote and then cleaned to lessen the risk of fire.

  • Young leaders

    Owen County Elementary School is proud to announce the creation of an upper elementary student council. Student members were nominated by their teachers and selected by a panel of district employees.

  • Extension Service News: Celebrate the holidays with a safe party buffet

    A great way to celebrate the holidays is to invite family and friends to a special party buffet.  Keep your holiday guests safe from foodborne illness by following these buffet safety tips:
    • Always wash your hands with soap and warm water for 20 seconds before and after handling food.  Clean kitchen surfaces, dishes, and utensils with hot, soapy water.  Use clean plates to serve cooked food - never the ones that held the raw meat or poultry.

  • Owen County Senior Center activities for Nov. 6-12, 2013

    The Owen County Senior Center provides activities only. The center is not medically staffed. Seniors who attend must be self reliant. Hot meals are served daily at 12 p.m. Please call 24 hours in advance to reserve your hot cooked meal. All seniors are welcome to attend.
    Today (Wednesday): 9 a.m., cards; 1 p.m., games/cornhole tourney.
    Nov. 7: 8:30 a.m., Christmas shopping and eating; 1 p.m., cards.
    Nov. 8: 9 a.m., cards; 1 p.m., Gentiva Bingo.
    Nov. 11: 9 a.m., games; 1 p.m., cards/Thanksgiving craft.

  • Owen County High School Honor Roll - Nov. 6, 2013

    12th-grade super honor roll: Jarrod Ball, Allison Dempsey, Ellen Eldridge, Haley Hatchett, Dakota Humphries, Kasey Hunter, Kayla Miles, Morgan Neace, Shelby Power, Richard Swigert and Sarah Wotier.

  • Extension service news: Don’t forget that everyone needs ‘me’ time

    You spend a lifetime making time for others - parenting, caregiving, volunteering, working – but how often do you take a personal timeout?  To keep a healthy body, mind, and spirit, try to do something for yourself each day for at least 10 minutes.  The following tips can help you take time for yourself.
    • Get to know you.  What makes you, you?  To help you answer this question, think about the things you believe in, the values that guide your life and the passions that motivate you.

  • Owen County seniors hold monthly meeting

    On Oct. 23 the Owen County Senior Citizens Club meeting was called to order by president Sharon Miskell.
    Chaplin Marlene Mason led the pledge to the flag.
    Roll call was given by secretary Ethel Hammond with 12 members present.
    In old business, there was a discussion on money that was made at Sweet Owen Day.
    The group also talked about the trip to the Robinson show that was enjoyed by everyone.
    In new business, the election of officers who will take office in November was discussed.

  • Panel approves Kentucky American rate request

    The Kentucky Public Service Commission recently approved new rates for Kentucky American Water customers, reaching a decision on a rate increase requested by the company in December 2012.

  • With chilly temps back, officials urge fire safety

    With winter just around the corner and chilly weather already here, local fire departments are hopeful Owen countians will take necessary precautions when it comes to heating their homes.
    Owenton Fire Chief David Lilly said firefighters responded to the Northern Kentucky Community Action Neighborhood Center on S. Madison St. Thursday for smoke.
    Lilly said the electrical wiring in the thermostat had gone bad and caused the building to smoke up.
    No damage was done to the center.
    Local fire departments see a spike in calls when temperatures turn chilly in the fall.

  • Quick action saves barn from blaze

    The sharp eyes to two men on the roof of the Itron building in Owenton may have prevented serious fire damage to a barn behind Meadowview Monday.
    The men saw smoke coming from a barn behind the grocery store and contacted the store owner Bud Forsee.
    Luckily, the chief of the Owen County Volunteer Fire Department happens to work at Meadowview.
    “Bud came and got me,” Chief Robb Chaney said.
    With smoke rolling out of the barn, Chaney sounded the alarm while he and two other men fought back the fire by smothering it with dirt.