- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Opponent: Williamstown Demons
Where: Owen County High School
When: Friday at 7:30 p.m.
The Owen County High School Rebels will be looking to win their home opener after losing their first home game a season ago to Western Hills High School. The Wolverines came to Owenton Dec. 2, 2008, and defeated the Rebels, 64-56.
Here are some interesting notes:
• Last year’s loss in the home opener ended a streak of seven consecutive wins in the Rebels’ first home games. Before last season, the last time the Rebels had dropped their first home game of the season was in 2000 when Owen County lost to Trimble County High School.
• Owen County Head Boys Basketball Coach Devin Duvall apparently enjoys playing against the Demons. Since taking over as head coach, Duvall is 7-0 against Williamstown.
• Last season, the Rebels defeated the Demons twice. Owen County defeated Williamstown 73-49 on the road and then 63-58 in Owenton.
• While the Rebels won the 31st district a season ago, the Demons were on their way to a 10-16 record. Williamstown finished the season by dropping its opening-round game in the 32nd District Tournament to Simon Kenton in overtime.
• Williamstown Independent High School Head Boys Basketball Coach Stacey May and Rebels boss Devin Duvall each have something in common. Both men replaced a Mefford as head coach. Duvall replaced Gran Mefford while May took over for Tim Mefford in 2007.
• Stacey May has helped improved the Demons in the two seasons he has been in charge. During his first year, the Demons only won four games. Last season they won 10 times. Improving on the 10 wins will be a little tougher this year, for May will have to replace six seniors including guards Patrick Spoonamore and Zack Anglin.