.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Owen County issues outdoor burning ban

-A A +A

Burning cigarette may have been responsible for blaze that damaged over 25 acres

By Molly Haines

Only hours after the Owen County judge-executive’s office issued a no outdoor burning restriction Friday, a fire began on Pleasant Grove Road and soon spread to Rose Lane.

The South Owen Fire Department received the call around 2 p.m. and according to South Owen Fire Chief Brian Perry, a cigarette could have been the cause of the fire that spread for 25 to 30 acres.

Perry said an unoccupied trailer, a storage barn and several junk cars were destroyed.

“The neighbors seem to think that a cigarette started the fire,” Perry said. “It started close to the road and the embers from it spread. We were there until 7:30 that evening and were called back out on Saturday for some hot spots and were probably there for another four to five hours.”

Perry said an additional trailer was saved.

“It was mainly grass and a lot of trees,” Perry said. “It was a very wooded area.”

The city of Owenton and Owen County, New Liberty, Jonesville, Monterey, Williamstown, Corinth and Scott County fire departments all assisted in putting out the flames.

Perry said the forestry department seemed to agree that a cigarette could have been the cause of the fire.

The Owen County judge-executive’s office issued a no outdoor burning restriction which became effective noon Friday.

The restriction will remain in affect until rescinded by public notice.

When the ban is lifted, the News-Herald will announce it on its website at www.owentonnewsherald.com