Insurance deadlines approaching

-A A +A

Farm Services News By Claudia Baney

Crop insurance is a popular risk-management tool with farmers and agricultural policy makers.
Congress made crop insurance a major component of the safety net for farmers.
USDA’s Farm Service Agency’s Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program provides financial assistance to producers of non-insurable crops when low yields, loss of inventory, or prevented planting occur due to natural disasters.  
NAP insurance insures crops RMA insurance does not cover.  
The Livestock Forage Disaster Program, which provides benefits for grazing land affected by drought, requires insurance on pasture.  
Supplemental Revenue Assistance Program, which provides benefits for farm revenue losses, requires that all crops in all counties must be covered by crop insurance or NAP except for grazing. Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honey Bees and Farm Raised Fish requires that all crops in all counties must be covered by crop insurance or NAP.  
We urge all producers of forage, pasture, vegetables, etc. to contact the Owenton FSA office for more information on NAP policies.

2011 NAP deadlines
Current and prospective NAP participants are reminded of the upcoming 2011 NAP application deadlines:
March 1 — alfalfa, clover, grass, mixed forage
March 15 — beans, beets, broccoli, cabbage, cantaloupe, carrots, cauliflower, cucumbers, eggplant, gourds, herbs, lettuce, oats, onions, peas, peppers, potatoes, pumpkins, radish, sorghum, soybeans, squash, strawberries, sunflowers, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips, and watermelons

2010 NAP producers eligible for livestock forage disaster program
Eligible livestock producers, with 2010 NAP coverage have until Jan. 30 to sign up for the Livestock Forage Disaster Program. LFP provides compensation to eligible livestock producers who have suffered grazing losses for covered livestock on land that is improved pastureland planted specifically for grazing. In order to receive compensation, producers must have 2010 Non-Insured Crop Disaster insurance on all grazing land.
Producers should contact the Owenton FSA Office for more information.