Home in Perry Park explodes

-A A +A
By Molly Haines

Officials are still trying to contact an Erlanger man after his house in Perry Park reportedly exploded in a liquid propane gas explosion.
New Liberty Fire Chief Greg Davis said the New Liberty Fire Department received the call at 12:26 a.m. March 3.
Firefighters arrived at 115 Tanglewood Dr. at 12:41 a.m.
Davis said the explosion blew 50 to 60 feet in all directions.
“When we arrived, there was nothing left but the floor and the floor joists,” Davis said. “They had caught on fire and it was leading out into the grass some but we were able to put it out.”
Gas was flowing from a 500-gallon tank.
“It was flowing so much that there was already frost on the valves,” Davis said. “It was just free-flowing into the home.”
Davis said there was no indication that anyone was in the house at the time of the explosion and the electric had been shutoff.
“There weren’t any vehicles around,” Davis said. “We looked all around but didn’t see anything.”
Several attempts to contact the homeowner, Ron Blackburn, have failed.
Davis said he is not sure how the home could have exploded without anyone around.
“The only thing you can do is speculate,” Davis said. “You can have all of the gas tanks in the world sitting around, but you have to have an ignitor for them to explode. That’s what worries me.”
Kentucky State Police Public Affairs Officer Michael Webb said reasons for the explosion are still under investigation.
“The house was pretty much secluded,” Davis said. “There really isn’t any reason to go back there unless you wanted to see that house specifically.”