- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Where: Gallatin County High School
• Owen County begins play in the tournament tonight against Trimble County. Tip-off is slated for 6 p.m. The Lady Rebels defeated the Lady Raiders 56-36 Dec. 8 at Trimble County. Jensen Wainscott and Rianna Gayheart each had 11 points while Samantha Toole tossed in 10.
• Gallatin County is hosting the event after they claimed the championship last year in Owenton. The Lady Wildcats then lost in the quarterfinals in Richmond.
• The Lady Rebels have won the tournament five times. They claimed the first regional title in 1991 and then won four in a row between 2001 and 2004. The five titles are more than any other team in the region. Gallatin County has the second most titles with four.
• Walton-Verona would have to be the favorite going into the week. The Lady Bearcats will head into the tournament with a record of 11-2. Their only two losses on the season have come against Simon Kenton and Highlands. Owen County has the second best record among participating schools at 10-5.
• According to the 8th Region coaches, the top five players taking part in this week’s tournament are Rianna Gayheart, Tori Wilhoite from Williamstown, Kelli Dixon from Walton-Verona, Brooke Hill from Gallatin County and Hannah Devine from Carroll County.
• The winner of the 8th Region tournament will travel to Richmond to take part in the girls’ state tournament beginning Jan. 27. The winner will take on the winner from the 14th Region at 9:30 p.m. Jan. 27. The preseason favorites in the 14th Region were June Buchanan and Leslie County.