Dog saves hunter the trouble

-A A +A
By Bee Spicer

I got my “project” started this week. I decided to build a narrow cabinet in the back hall to store dog food, soft drinks, assorted laundry and cleaning products and miscellaneous items and have a folding surface on top for clothes from the dryer.
John and I went to Lowe’s Tuesday to buy the materials and paint and were planning to start Wednesday. My friend June called that evening to say they were playing dominos Wednesday. I couldn’t miss that, so I put John off till Thursday. Thursday was a beautiful day to work outside, so we got a lot done, but between him having things to do Friday and Saturday and I had church Sunday, the project has hit a snag. Hopefully we will get back to it soon.
I had plenty to do outside anyway. John called my attention to a set of antlers lying in my side yard. Jessie had dragged in a deer backbone complete with full skull and a 6-point rack on it. There were various parts and pieces strewn all over the lower yard. At least she is considerate enough to set up her café in a part of the yard that doesn’t show from the road. I called Earthtools to ask Abbie if any of the men would like an undamaged 6-point deer rack. She said Don, her husband, liked that sort of thing. So I cut the spine and a long piece of rawhide off of it and gave it to her. I then got a large sack and started collecting bones. I had the sack full by the time I had collected all of them.
I talked to Fay Sunday night. They had been to Lexington Saturday evening to visit Jennifer and went out to supper. She said they didn’t think about the ball game being at Rupp Arena till they tried to find a place to eat. Every thing was full. They did finally get a table and had good meal and visit with Jennifer. She, like the rest of the Branch, was very pleased with the mild weather this week. She said they had 11 heifers that would be fresh in the next week or so. She was hoping that weather would hold but it never does. Just as the calves start to drop the temperature does too, and it either pours rain or snows.
Wanda said she and Charlie went to Frankie and Johnny’s for supper Saturday night, but didn’t stay for the dancing. Charlie has a lot of talents but dancing is not one of them. She had talked to Jean O’Banion this week Jean told her that she had been to raise money for the “God’s Special Little Hearts.” She helped sell cookbooks and worked in other events to raise over $1,000 for the cause. On Saturday her grandson, Jalane Olds, and she went to Owenton as part of the money-raising event. There was an article about Jalane in the paper last week about his heart problem. Jean said there was a big turnout and lots of vendors came and took part in it, too. We had a little girl in our community that was helped by this organization several years ago. It is wonderful what they can do now to make a healthy heart.
We had several out of church this week. Joel and Mike attended the wedding of Tate and Pricilla McDonald’s grandson. Tate is Joel’s uncle. Lou was feeling much better but not up to that long a trip, so Peggy Thomas came and stayed the weekend with her. Peggy took her to the store to visit a while. Mike said she looked good and seemed very glad to be out and about again. Jean Zeitz finally got across the creek and was at church. She told us that Kirkie was expecting in June and it was going to be a boy this time. She’s getting along fine. Jean is looking forward to the new grandchild.
Doreen and Sue went to the Wild Goose Café Saturday night to the poetry reading and musical program they were having. I had never heard of the Wild Goose Café. They told me it was new, sponsored by the Epoch Ministries in the old Deming’s 10 Cent Store. It is open everyday for coffee and has Wi-Fi access. The Owen Arts Council sponsored the program. The participation was open to all ages. Some of those from this area that read their poems were Gray Zeitz, Leslie Shane, Jim Gash, and Richard Taylor from Poor Richard’s Book Store in Frankfort. Sue said there were several very talented young musicians that performed but she didn’t know their names. She said she was very impressed with the way they had refurbished the old building. They hoped it was a big success. Something like that was needed in Owen County.
The Gratz Bridge is no more. Wanda said she was working her mail route Tuesday when they imploded it. She watched along with several hundred other people as it fell in to the Kentucky River. Sue said they have been cutting and removing pieces of it all week. Mike said they were coming along nicely with the reconstruction of the dam at lock 3. The river I knew as a teenager is changing. Now I know how the Indians would feel if they could see it now. Everything changes, but it seems to happen much faster now.