- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Where: Walton-Verona High School
When: Jan. 18-23
• The Rebels take on Gallatin County in the first round Jan. 18 at 7 p.m. The winner will advance to play Trimble County at 7 p.m. Jan. 21. The championship game is scheduled for 7 p.m. Jan. 23.
• The other first round games pair Eminence with Williamstown and Walton-Verona versus Carroll County. The winner will square off in the semifinals at 7 p.m. Jan. 22.
• Owen County has twice won the 8th Region championship. The first time was in 1996 and the second in 2003. In 1996, the team reached the semifinals of the state tournament and lost in the opening round in 2003.
• Gallatin County has the most 8th Region titles among participating schools. The Wildcats have won the tournament five times. They reached the state finals in 1999.
• Henry County, the defending champion, is not taking part in this year’s tournament. The school’s enrollment was too high for them to qualify.
• Gallatin County may be the favorite heading into the tournament. The Wildcats record as of today is 13-3. They have games this week against Williamstown and Henry County before taking on Owen County Tuesday.
• The winner of the 8th Region will play the winner from the 7th Region at 10:30 a.m. Jan. 28 in Richmond. The top team in the 7th Region is Louisville Collegiate.