- Special Sections
- Public Notices
With Owen County students heading back to school Aug. 14, Owen County School District Director of Transportation Jimmy Sutherland shares bus safety tips for both students and parents.
• Arrive at the bus stop at least five minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive. When the bus approaches, stand at least three giant steps (10 feet) away from the curb and line up away from the street.
• Wait until the bus stops, the door opens and the driver says that it’s OK before stepping onto the bus.
• Do not push or shove when getting on or off the bus.
• Go directly to your seat and remain seated until the bus comes to a complete stop at the unloading destination.
• Keep feet out of the aisle. Keep head, hands and arms inside the bus at all times.
• Be a courteous passenger. Avoid yelling, screaming or obscene language and obey the rules established by the school district and/or driver.
• If it is necessary to cross the street in front of the bus, walk on the sidewalk along the side of the road to a point at least five giant steps (10 feet) ahead of the bus before crossing; wait to cross until you have made eye contact with the driver and have been signaled to cross; check to make sure other traffic has stopped and it is safe to cross.
• Be sure that the bus driver can see you and you can see the bus driver.
• Use the handrails to avoid falling. When exiting the bus, be careful that clothing and book bags with straps or draw strings don’t get caught in the handrails or doors.
• Never walk behind the bus.
• Walk at least 10 feet away from the side of the bus.
• If you drop something near the bus, tell the bus driver. Never try to pick it up because the driver may not be able to see you.
• Know the bus rules and teach your children to follow the common-sense practices listed above to make their school bus transportation safer.
• Make sure your children are on time to catch the bus, arrive at least five minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive.
• Accompany small children to and from the bus. By law, kindergarten, preschool and headstart students must have a parent present when loading or unloading the bus.
• Observe safe driving techniques when your vehicle is near a school bus.
Bus #1, driver Robert Miller – Hwy. 227 from Scott County to school, Harmony Road and Teresita Road.
Bus #2, driver Lillian Peace – Sparta, end of 2 Mile, Manley, right on 36 to Sanders, backtrack out of Sanders, left on 227 through all of New Liberty to 127 South to school.
Bus #3, driver Patsy Fitzgerald – Hwy. 22 from the bus garage to Old Sweet Owen Road, Old Sweet Owen Road to the fairgrounds, Green Acres Drive, Horizon Circle, Harris Ridge Road, East Adair, Cardinal Drive and Owen County Judicial Center.
Bus #5, driver Noel True – Bridge Street in Monterey, Point of Rock Road, Burkes Lane, Blanche Davis Road, Davis Dam Road, Stockyard Road, Park Ridge Road, West Adair, Kelly Court, West Perry Street, North Madison Street and The Raisin Factory (a.m.)
Bus #7, driver Cindy Hensley – Hwy. 845 from Lucas Lane to Old Monterey Road, Old Monterey Road, Heath and Kenny Roads, Slippery Rock Road, Beck Street, Gaines Village Drive and Robin Drive. Third buses elementary and middle to Beck Street and Robin Drive, Raisin Factory (p.m.)
Bus #8, driver Brandy Napier – Pleasant Grove Road, Mountain Island Road, Glass Lane, Dudley Puke, Hwy. 607 from New Columbus to Hwy. 227, Paynes Road.
Bus #9, driver James Ball – Swope Road, Kincaid Lane, Hammond School House Road (1883) to Hwy. 227, Pete Towles Road, Hwy. 607 (Claxton Ridge).
Bus #10, driver Teresa Davis – Hwy. 607 from Hwy. 227 to Lucas Lane, Hwy. 845 from Lucas Lane to Hesler, Hwy. 227 from Hesler to Breck Road, Hwy. 1883 from Breck Road to Hwy. 330, Elk Lake, Hwy. 330 and Hwy. 227 to school.
Bus #11, driver Connie Hon – Sparta-New Liberty Road (Two Mile, five houses on the Sparta end), old Sparta hill, Hwy. 35 from Sparta to Bromley, Hwy. 1316, Hwy. 127/35 from Bromley to school, Stewart Lane and Todd’s Lane.
Bus #17, driver Melissa Smith – From Fitzgerald’s on 355 to Gratz, Fairview Road, Clays Lick Road, Lead Mine Road, Morgan Road, Mintsprings Road, John Saylor Lane, Hwy. 22 from Pleasant Home to Roland Avenue and Gayle Avenue.
Bus #18, driver Gary Coley – Dividing Ridge and Herman Green Road, Hwy. 607 from Herman Green to Hwy. 127, Hwy. 127 from Cedar Church to cemetery road, Sawdridge Creek Road, all of Monterey north of the bridge and Hwy. 127 from Monterey to Loop 6 and 3.
Bus #22, driver Jamie Riley – Fortner Ridge Road, Old Lusby’s Mill, Hwy. 330 from Keefer Road to Breck Road, Breck Road to 227, Mussel Shoals Road, Hwy. 227 from Breck Road to school and (1197) Old Greenup Pike (Burke Bonds) Road and Mason Lane.
Bus #23, driver Jennifer Miller – Eagle Station Road to Obie Cook Road, turn around and go right onto Hwy. 227 to Bucks Run, turn around and come back to Community Center Road (1669) then Wheatley area, Butler Inn Road back to 227, Rose Hill Lane, then right onto Hwy. 127, apartments across from Hometown Pizza, Baptist church and Christian church.
Bus #26, driver Roy Marksberry – Hwy. 978 to Hwy. 227, Bethel Ridge and Bucks Run into Eagle Creek Campground, Hwy. 355 to Eagle Creek Resort.
Bus #27, driver Mary Lou Gullion – Jonesville on Hwy. 36, Parts Lane, Gold Circle Road, Golds Valley, Snell Lane, Handy Lane and left to 845 to Pleasant Ridge Church.
Bus #29, driver Judy Smith – Hwy. 355 from Mount Zion Church to Glenwood Hall, Squiresville Road, Hwy. 22 from Squiresville Road to Hide-A-Way Hills only.
Bus #30, driver Carol Harrison – Hwy. 607 in New Columbus to Hwy. 330, Hwy. 300 from Corinth Lake Road to Hwy. 227, Canby Lane and Glenn Road, Carr Lane, Tommy Reed Road, Dog Walk and Wild Deer.