Agricultural board taking applications for programs

-A A +A
By The Staff

The Owen County Agricultural Development (Phase I) Board will begin taking applications for the County Agricultural Investment Program, beginning Aug. 19. Applications will not be available until this date. They may be picked up at the Owen County Extension Office. Deadline for applications will be Sept. 11.

The CAIP program offers farmers the opportunity for 50-percent cost share with a maximum of $5,000 in the following areas:

 • Agricultural Diversification: includes numerous areas relating to diversification, such as commercial horticulture, aquaculture, agri-tourism, and timber – agpolicy.ky.gov/funds/diversification.shtml;

 • Cattle Genetics Improvement: includes the purchase of bull or semen, A.I., and heifer purchase - agpolicy.ky.gov/funds/fence.shtml”

• Farm Livestock Fencing Improvement: for farm boundary fencing –  agpolicy.ky.gov/funds/hay.shtml”

• Farm Structure & Commodity Handling: for hay and commodity storage structures and handling equipment –  agpolicy.ky.gov/funds/forage.shtml

• Forage Improvement and Utilization: for forage seeding and pasture improvement, filter fabric pads, and fence & water for rotational grazing systems.

Farmers are also eligible for 50-percent cost share in the following areas with a maximum reimbursement of $2,500:  agpolicy.ky.gov/funds/goat.shtml”

• Goat & Sheep Diversification: agpolicy.ky.gov/funds/energy.shtml

• On-farm Energy Efficiency and Production:  for installation of energy-efficient grain drying systems and building projects, renewable energy projects, and biomass production, – agpolicy.ky.gov/funds/water.shtml

• On-farm Water Enhancement: for building and renovating farm ponds, drilling wells, developing springs, and city water hook-up, technology, for precision ag equipment, animal data management, computer record-keeping, and broadband service. –  agpolicy.ky.gov/funds/handling.shtml

• Cattle Handling Facilities: includes beef and dairy cattle handling facilities, pen for bulls, and pen for weaning calves, and

• Commercial Poultry, Dairy, and Swine: agpolicy.ky.gov/funds/commercial-pds.shtml.

Guidelines for each investment area are available at the Owen County Extension Office and may be picked up with the application.